State Department of Law Enforcement
DataMotion utilizes the DataMotion Platform, DataMotion Secure Email Automation and DataMotion Secure Mailbox to Cut Costs, Migrate to an E-Delivery Platform and Deliver Thousands of Documents Quickly and Securely for a State Department of Law Enforcement.
Background information on the project
A law enforcement agency for a large US state is tasked to fulfill criminal background check requests for the state’s business and government entities. Each year, it receives over one million requests, and must quickly process and deliver its findings in a secure and cost effective manner. In the past, these documents were delivered by overnight courier, with delivery costs accounting for almost half of the total amount charged for each request. In the face of tough budgetary conditions, and in an effort to modernize their operations, the state looked for ways to reduce expenses while maintaining or improving security and response times.
- Electronically deliver sensitive data to a wide range of consumer, business and government users in a secure manner
- Handle millions of transactions while allowing easy retrieval of individual documents
- Run on-premise to work alongside internal background check processing systems
- Comply with FBI Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) rules for handling sensitive data
- Offer enterprise reliability and fault tolerance
- Be easy-to-use and maintain for operations staff
- Integrate with the agency’s branding
- Scale severalfold as new legislation greatly expands the volume of background checks to be delivered
- Deliver millions of sensitive documents quickly and cost-effectively
- Migrate from courier service to e-delivery
- Shift from cost center to profit center
The state faced several challenges when moving from courier to electronic document delivery. First, by their nature, background checks may contain sensitive information such as social security numbers that cannot be publically disclosed. They needed to ensure that sensitive data was delivered securely to the intended recipient, even though it was being sent across the public internet. In addition to security, their business needs required tracking data for each background check delivered, similar to what they received with overnight courier services. A third key challenge was ensuring that the system could be used by the wide spectrum of constituents requesting background checks. Since they service the entire state, one-off requests are made by individuals with little to no technical skills, while at the same time, large enterprises with sophisticated IT operations make tens of thousands of annual requests. As a result, a solution that takes a one-size-fits-all approach to document delivery would not accommodate the needs of such a broad user base.
DataMotion Platform. DataMotion Secure Email Automation, DataMotion Secure Mailbox
After extensively researching the secure document delivery marketplace, the state purchased the DataMotion platform and implemented secure email automation. They chose the DataMotion platform because of its established track record for providing scalability, enterprise capabilities, on-premises deployment to meet CJIS data security rules, and lights-out operations. A wide range of delivery options suited to the needs of both individuals and business partners was another factor.
Using the platform’s secure email automation capability, the state eliminated major courier expenses for each background check delivered, while increasing document security, tracking and retrieval. And because costs were greatly reduced, their fulfillment operation, which was once operating at a loss, is now a major profit center.
With the automated side of secure delivery taken care of, DataMotion’s email encryption was then installed on agency desktops, allowing employees to encrypt communications on-demand from within Microsoft Outlook to citizens, government agencies and businesses. The secure mailbox has allowed them to process law enforcement issues in a much more rapid, cost-effective manner than the fax, postal and courier methods used in the past. In addition, external users can securely communicate back to state employees, providing a convenient, secure and rapid method to interact with the agency.
- Courier-based delivery costs and inefficiencies have been eliminated
- Implementing electronic delivery turned the initiative from an expense into a profit center
- Multiple delivery methods make the system easy-to-use for all types of partners and individuals
- Secure email on employee desktops cut costs and accelerate business processes
- Auditors and operations are satisfied with detailed delivery tracking
- Lights-out server operation requires minimal IT staff attention